The project included the design, manufacture and commissioning of a complete production line of connecting rods for the automotive sector. The turnkey supply was carried out in collaboration with our partner company Etxetar, which was responsible for the production of the machining machines for the complete machining of head, foot and screw holes.
In Gaindu we performed all the installation of the automated loading / unloading of the line, including robotic cells in all machining operations, as well as the integration of a linear gantry for the handling of parts between some processes. The linking of operations was completed with the addition of parts transfer conveying systems, providing the line with buffers between operations.
The project is part of Etxetar / Gaindu's strategy as a turnkey supplier of solutions for the manufacture of connecting rods, implementing our flexible, reliable and high production technology in the manufacturing process.
One of the operations in the process was the breakage of connecting rods for subsequent assembly, performed on a standard Gaindu Cracking and Assembling machine, with an arrangement of 9 double stations with the capacity to manufacture more than 8,000 connecting rods per week.
The cracking and assembly machine includes the operations of pre-tightening, final tightening and pressing of the bushing into the pin-bore of the connecting rod. All components are fed by automatic feeders where we control the type and orientation prior to assembly. The fitting of the bushing is carried out by means of an electric press, controlling throughout the process the insertion force and the position of the bushing.
Complete Line Automation
The line includes the interlinking of the various operations from the input of raw parts to the output of finished, measured and classified parts. The different machining operations and the cracking operation are loaded/unloaded automatically, by robotic cells and linear gantries. The automation system includes automatic detection of the type of connecting rod to be processed, as well as traceability management and recording of all data generated during the manufacturing process.
Customized solutions according to the part to be conveyed, its size and required orientation.
- Palletized conveyors
- Roller chain conveyors
- Belt conveyors
Solutions adapted to customer's process / lay-out requirements:
- Separated input and output conveyors
- Conveyor loops including curves
- Palletized conveyors with lifts at each end and two height lanes
We have the capacity to integrate standard third-party equipment as well as conveyors of our own design. Our product development includes pneumatically actuated stoppers of proprietary design.
- When talking about automatic loading / unloading of our machines, integration of six axes and cartesian robots becomes a guarantee for high efficiency solutions.
- We have wide experience in integrating robots of various brands, not only for handling purposes but also as a key tool in some of our assembly standarized solutions.
- Design and integration of in-house designed grippers (EOAT), adapted to the needs of each application.
- Simulation services for the entire robot cycle to assure the process in cycle time conditions and to avoid possible collisions or interferences.
- Possibility to perform tightening operations using electrical screwdrivers, controlling the applied torque and final angle on the process.
- Simpler tightening / untightening operations could also include pneumatically driven tighteners or tailor made untightening electromechanical units.
- We adapt our assembly solutions to our customer's need, integrating on that purpose their preferred electrical screwdriver brand.
- Union of components using all type and sizes of bolts, screws, thread plugs, etc…
- When it comes to automating processes, automatic component feeding is a fundamental aspect of the cell's autonomy.
- There are several alternatives on the market to automatically feed parts to be assembled. At Gaindu we analyze each case individually to offer the best alternative, taking into account key aspects such as speed, part protection or required orientation.
- Among the alternatives we work with, we make our own design feeders by means of vertical warehouses as well as bowl-feeder or step-feeder integrations, which we customize for each application.
- Within the operations related to traceability, and especially after marking the parts on the machine, it is necessary to check the correct marking or to incorporate the unique part ID to associate the process data to the part.
- Integration of cameras or sensors for 2DM code / QR / Barcode reading.
- Possibility of marking degree evaluation according to the ISO/IEC TR 29158 (AIM DPM-1-2006) standard, by means of special verification units.
Gaindu has put considerable effort into the standardization of control systems, for the automatic collection and analysis of relevant data from production systems, classified into the following areas:
- Piloting, making it possible to configure/detect production sequences and formulas for the various types of parts.
- Status, providing information on machine availability and utilization, allowing to analyze productivity, detecting bottlenecks and improvement actions.
- Process, associating to the part identifier the data of the different processes performed on it. The identification of the main parts and their components is done by means of identification techniques such as reading the 2DM code marked on them or reading the RFID cards located on them or on their transport elements.
- Automation, recording the detections, movements and actuations performed by the machines, which allows to detect points of improvement in performance and to perform preventive maintenance of its components.
In order to respond to the traceability needs of our customers, at Gaindu we have developed our own software called Gaindu Tracker, with which we provide our installations with the functionality to record process data associated with unique part IDs.
We integrate industrial PCs from leading manufacturers as hardware support for our customized software development.
Complete collecting of data related to the process:
- Leak test values
- Insertion forces and positions
- Torque and anglel values
We study each project in detail in order to adapt to the existing IT systems in our customers' plants, integrating our machines in their information networks.
- Monitoring of the assembly processes for component pressing, controlling the parameters during the whole cycle.
- At Gaindu we have installed more than 300 electric presses with which we have assembled all types of parts and units. Assembly processing of engines, suspensions, gearboxes, etc...
- We are the official distributor of JANOME electric presses in Spain, having collaborated with them directly in the validation and expansion of assembly processes using electric presses.
- Following our vocation of customer-oriented solutions, we adapt to the approved brands and preferences of our customers when designing our installations. This has led us to work with the leading global manufacturers of electrical presses and gives us the advantage of being able to offer our solutions integrating reliably any of these brands.
Within the variants to automate the loading / unloading of parts or components, we have different solutions using linear gantries with several configurations. Among others:
- 2 axes (XZ)
- 3 axes (X, Z1, Z2)
- 4 axes (X1, X2, Z1, Z2)
- Area gantries (XYZ)
When the required flexibility in automation is higher, it is even possible to integrate robotized linear gantries by mounting multi-axis industrial robots on the horizontal axes.
Design and integration of in-house designed grippers (EOAT), adapted to the needs of each application.
At Gaindu we have the expertise to carry out complete automation of production lines consisting of several CNC machines, assembly, washing, etc... For this purpose, linear gantries are an efficient alternative that frees up space in the plant for the passing of machines / operators.
Interested in knowing more how we can help you?CONTACT US